/javascript" src="static/js/analytics.js"> EKIP Soviet UFO

June 2001 Update

By Paul Stonehill
Russian Ufology Research Center
Author of The Soviet UFO Files (1988)
Click here for full story.





















UFO's in the USSR

May 20, 2001; Russian flying saucer project revealed.
From: The Herald Sun Newspaper, Melbourne, Australia.

A pioneering disk type air craft developed within the Soviet Union was revealed to the public.

Photographs of project Ekip were released in an apparent effort by the Russians to revive interest and spending in the Russian Space Program before their share of cosmic dominance is eaten up by the Chinese.


The Ekip was designed at the same facility which produced the Yak-38 a vertical lift-off-and-land fighter. The front of the aircraft is pierced by two jet intakes.

Exhausts behind the crest of the 'poached egg' blow over the rear section creating enormous lift and forward motion. It uses an air-cushion similar in principle to a hovercraft.

Experts associated with Ekip believe such an aircraft has the ability to be re-designed to accommodate up to 1300 passengers.

Initially the teams goal is to manufacture a craft to carry about 400 and travel to an altitude of more than 3900 metres. This version would measure 36m by 26m about a length of the Boeing 767 and be capable of 640kph and have a range of 8000km.

January 26, 2001: Barnaul Airport, Southern Siberia.

The airport was shut down for a short period of time, after a UFO was seen 'hovering above the runway.'

The Interfax News Agency advised that the closure lasted for approximately an hour and a half.

A local aviation company director reported that a cargo aircraft declined to take off 'claiming they saw a luminescent object hovering above the runway of the Siberia's Barnaul airport.'

In addition, this sighting was backed up by the Crew of another cargo aircraft. In fact, this second aircraft refused to use the runway at Barnaul and made arrangements to land at another facility.

Reports indicate that this UFO was in the vicinity for approximately 90 minutes and then it vanished from sight.

Russian Ufologist, Paul Stonehill, has reported that a book published in Tomsk (Russia), provides an adequate explanation. The title of that book is 'Monitoring Atmosferi Sibirskogo Regiona', and it contains a chapter regarding the January sighting.

The book itself has been allusive but a summary of the explanation is contained herein.

The UFO is but an electromagnetic "clot" in the atmosphere.

There is a laboratory, dedicated to the research of similar phenomena.

Such phenomena (systems, per Mr. Gozhin) are caused by human activities - an interference with ecological equilibrium in nature. Basically, Mr. Gozhin wanted to indicate that Russian scientists study such "UFOs", and the latter have achieved some results in their work. Hence, he is of the opinion that the Barnaul Object is no UFO, but a phenomenon created on Earth.

Source : Paul Stonehill

Not a UFO, but a Bee over Dagestan in 2000?

According to Russian journalist Vyacheslav Fyodorov, a UFO sighted over Dagestan on November 14, 2000 was actually an advanced Russian weapon, an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

The sighting was widely reported throughout the world after the initial story carried by Interfax Agency; Philip Mantle and the new Paul Stonehill book about Russian ufology contains a detailed account of this and other fascinating sightings and UFO reports from the Caspian Sea.

Dagestan is one of the republics of the former USSR; a part of the Russian Federation, it is located between Caspian Sea on the East and Caucasus mountains on the West; it borders Chechnya.

Source : Paul Stonehill

March 2000: Ivan Toskovoi who was stationed at the Russian Vostok Base in Antarctica, suddenly disappeared.

He had been researching the mysterious Lake Vostok, a massive body of water over a mile below the surface ice. More on Lake Vostok

In March 2000, the Russian Defense Ministry approved an unmanned reconnaissance system Stroy-P (unmanned reconnaissance complex or PRC).

The system was created in the Yakovlev Experimental Design Bureau, a major Russian military aircraft manufacturer, (OKB imeni Yakovleva) named after A. S. Yakovlev, a famous Soviet aircraft designer.

The Yak Aircraft Corporation is now a privatized Russian aviation corporation.

Pchela (a drone component of the complex) was built at the Kishtim Radio Plant, with the help of the Smolensk Aviation Plant; the official maker of the Pchela is Kulon Scientific Research Institute (R&D Institute of Aircraft Technology).

This system, or complex, includes a launcher on caterpillar-fitted platform, two vehicles and ten (initially, five) Pchela-1T 061 aircraft.

In the summer of 2000 (July), the Russians were conducting test flights of their Pchela-1T light unmanned reconnaissance aircraft.

Apparently, Russian media carried stories about the “airplane-robot” and its onboard TV camera.

The timing of the November 2000 UFO sighting over Dagestan and the tests of the Pchela drones coincide.

Source : Paul Stonehill

The Stroy-P complex was accepted for service with the Russian Army in 1997.

A Pchela (remotely piloted reconnaissance drone that provides television surveillance of ground targets):

Weighs 130 kilograms (loaded)

Has an operational range of 110 to 150 kilometres

Can fly at altitudes ranging from 100 meters to 3 kilometres

Cruises at speeds from 11- to 150 kilometres an hour.

Has a combat-recorded range: 55 kilometres

Has a flight endurance of 2 hours requiring 20 litres of gasoline.

Its power plant is piston plus two solid rockets takeoff boosters (powered at 32hp)

Onboard of the Russian drone are a video camera, a still camera, a mapping camera, and a secure radio

It uses a parachute for landing

The Pchela drones tested in November of 2000 are also equipped to fly in the nighttime and have infrared vision capability.

Pchela is probably equal in capability to many Western UAV in the same class. However, it is a slower, tactical unmanned aerial vehicle than, for example, the Russian the 800-kilometer-per-hour Reis UAV.

Source : Paul Stonehill

The Pchela was incorporated, as a weapon, by Russian armed forces in 1997.

There is a special unit dedicated to the use of unmanned aviation systems in the town of Akhtyubinsk, in the Astrakhan province of southern Russia (a Russian state aviation research center is located there as well).

Russian Bees are sold to foreign buyers, too, and have been featured at the Russian pavilions at the international aviation exhibitions.

The Russians have used the Pchela in Chechnya, but Mr. Fyodorov doubts that the Russian military has utilized the weapon’s potential fully.

However, Russian Military Parade magazine (1999) claims something different. Their information came from a source in the Russian Defense Ministry. This source claimed that decision to use PRCs in Chechnya to provide continuous aerial reconnaissance and target designation data for the Federal troops has been taken after analyzing the results of combat operations in Dagestan.

The fact is, when suppressing the fire positions of the rebels, the Russian troops were in lack of reconnaissance information, transmitted in the real time mode.

Source : Paul Stonehill

In 1995, the Stroy-P complex was already used in Chechnya (a Pchela weighed 138 kilograms at the time).

The unmanned air reconnaissance military unit was situated on the mountain Goiten-Kort near Khankala. The “plane-robot” proved its unique abilities having received a lot of valuable information that saved hundreds of lives.

But the Russian Defense Ministry lacked funds to procure the upgraded weapons (according to the information form 1999; obviously, in the year 2000 the funds to procure upgraded Stroy-P complexes were found). 

According to the same source, the Pchela-1 RPC made 10 flights in Chechnya, with the total flight time accumulated of 7 hours 25 minutes.

Why would the Pchela be operated over Dagestan? -To provide the round-the-clock control over 200 kilometers of the Chechnya border, and to block the attempts of rebels to penetrate the adjacent territories, according to the Military Parade’s source.

Source : Paul Stonehill

In the late 1990's, TNT aired a special entitled "The Secret KGB UFO Files".

I, for one, found it to be plausible, especially the first fifteen minutes or so, which featured airborne footage of UFOs darting in and out of the clouds; merging into one another; and in the case of one enormous cylinder-type UFO, accelerating at a tremendous speed and leaving a jet in its wake. 

Later segments of the special alleged to show an alien autopsy and a crash retrieval didn't fare as well, in my opinion. That's not to say they weren't legit, it's just harder to judge. But don't just take my word for it.

Source : Paul Stonehill

October 8, 1990: Near Tbilisi, Georgia, Soviet Union. Two huge UFO's were reported in the vicinity of Grozniy.

According to the Commander of the local air unit, an interceptor jet was sent to investigate.

March 1990: Georgia, USSR. The crew of a MiL-2 were ordered to investigate a low-flying object in the vicinity of Nalchik Airport.

The object had been tracked on radar. Visual contact with the object was made at 800 metres altitude. It was described as spherical shaped and 3 metres in diameter. The UFO ascended to the same height of the helicopter and then began to approach. As the pilot took evasive action, the UFO changed its altitude and began to mimic the chopper. The helicopter then began an ascent while the UFO remained above it and then took off into the distance.

The air traffic controller at the airport said that both the helicopter and the object were visible on radar until the moment the helicopter made its approach from 6 kilometres, at which point both 'targets' disappeared for about twenty seconds.

The picture below was taken over Tagrek, Russia in March 1990.

1989: A former NATO intelligence officer reported that, in 1989, a 100-yard-wide UFO disc hovered for over an hour over the headquarters of the Soviet Air Defence Command.

December 1989: Voronezh, Russia. Many sightings of UFO including a landing. Witnesses claimed to have seen 3 metre tall aliens around a landed craft.

July 28-29, 1989: Kapsutin Yar, Astrakhan Region, Russia: A multiple witness event occurred at an army missile base. Signal centre personnel  observed three objects simultaneously at a distance of about three kilometres.

The objects were observed for about ninety minutes. Sightings then began at a nearby base and lasted another hour. A jet fighter was scrambled but could not successfully get close to the object.

Click to watch the streaming video: Top Russians knew that UFOs were from somewhere else since Day 1 of the Space Race, and knew that the US knew that too.

December 29, 1986: Dalnegorsk, Height 611, Siberia.

A few miles from Vladivostok, the home of the Russian Fleet, a military area known only by its height of 611 was the scene of what many have branded the 'Russian Roswell.' Witnesses saw a strange object flying toward the facility when it appeared to explode. The country-side in the surrounding area of Eastern Siberia was strewn with debris but strangely there was no sign of fire. Searchers found many samples of strange alloys which had constituted the doomed flying saucer. Tests on the debris revealed astonishing, and unearthly alloys.

A team which studied the metals found at the scene says that some of the filaments were 7 microns thick as opposed to the human hair which is usually around 57 microns. The filaments were combinations of gold which had been inserted into quartz. "There were many rare earth metals which had never been combined by human alchemists.

Stonehill says that newspaper Komsomol'skaya Pravda in its December 1, 2000 issue, published an article about the Dalnegorsk case (NLO svili v Primorje gnezdo). In the early 1990s, according to the newspaper, Russian generals from the anti-aircraft forces became concerned about the UFO activity in the area, and contacted local UFO researchers. An exchange of information ensued.

It is newsworthy when a major Russian newspaper mentions such fact (the author actually quoted Valery Dvuzhilni, the chief investigator of the Height 611 UFO crash).

A very interesting discovery related to the Height 611 case was made by a Russian scientist who resides in the United States. His name is Alexander Krivenyshev. 

Source :Paul Stonehill

See Stonehill interviewed on the 'Sightings' program in The Russian Roswell: The 1986 UFO crash at Hill 611, Dalnegorsk. Click to view.

1985: UFO discussions between Reagan and Gorbachev.

In 1982, the Soviet military gave instructions to the A.S. Yakovlev Design Bureau to develop a small, remotely piloted aerial vehicle (or DPLA).

The person in charge of the project was a talented designer, Yuri Yankevich .

Years later, a DPLA-605 Pchela was developed.

This was first Soviet UAV capable of monitoring ground targets with an on-board television camera that had a real-time downlink.

Later, Pchela (Russian word for a honey bee), the unmanned tactical reconnaissance drone (bespilotnyi samolet, in Russian), was modified to Pchela-1T (TV observer), Pchela-1IK (new version ), and a 5-th generation unmanned tactical reconnaissance drone to replace Pchela from the Stroy-P system.

May 5, 1981: Cosmonaut Vladimir Kovalyonok was in orbit aboard the Salyut -6 space station when he saw what was a very unfamiliar looking object.

It was in the shape of a melon, round and a little bit elongated. The object was transparent and Kovalynook recalled seeing what appeared to be a gas discharge coming from one end.

Soviet research into UFO's began under Stalin he was intrigued and worried about the many reported UFO sightings and by the late 1970's a UFO research centre had opened in Moscow.

The development of the Ekip was undertaken with spying and surveillance being it's prime task. Many tests were carried out successfully but the story goes on to say that lack of funding has led to the prototype lying unused in a paddock.

July 1970: Two Russian scientists offered a bizarre theory of the origins of the moon.

Michael Vasin and Alexander Scherbakov published an article in the Soviet journal Sputnik entitled "Is the moon a creation of alien intelligence?

“UFO” flew into the Soviet Union back in 1969, and turned out to be an unmanned American espionage aircraft.

The Soviets were sufficiently impressed, and their government ordered that a similar aircraft be developed per Soviet standards and equipment.

Source : Paul Stonehill

1961: Russian archeologists and the KGB working under the banner of Project Isis, are said to have unearthed the body of an alien in a tomb in Egypt.

Isis was aimed at finding out more about Epyptian artifacts and knowledge and then devising military applications for them.

It is believed that in the years around 2,500 BC the Egyptians sprung from nowhere. They were the first mathematicians, they introduced writing paper and calendars.

August of 1961, a test flight of the most modern Soviet fighter-interceptor jet was to take place.

The top brass wanted to film everything, so as to demonstrate the might of Soviet Air Force.

A film crew, headed by Victor Dudinsh, was commissioned for that purpose. They set up their equipment in the vicinity of the airplane, next to the take-off and landing strip. Over one hundred military officers had been waiting to see the air show. But nothing happened. The jet was fine the day before, but now the pilot could not start the engine. At the same time a sinister sound pierced through the air, and a strange object appeared in the sky.

It appeared from nowhere, and everyone was able to see it at once. They started running in every direction. Fear gripped everyone, and panic ensued. Dudinsh, a real professional, fought this fear to film the occurrence. He aimed the camera at the object in the sky, pushed the start button, and ran to the shelter. The object did not descend, but rather moved in a strange fashion. It would disappear, and reappear, but slightly further from its original position. This went on for a few minutes, and then something else took place. An entity inside the UFO moved around intensively. The object was illuminated by sun, blue sky in the background, i.e., the visibility was fine. Its shape was that of a triangle, its color violet. A few minutes later and the UFO suddenly dimmed. It remained in the sky, but became somewhat invisible. As its brightness disappeared, so did the fear.

The military crawled out from various holes and shelters, and discussed the event. Not one doubted the ET nature of the object. Dudinsh ran back to his camera, and saw that it was working, but the film was already spent. He wanted to take it back to the studio, but the airfield commander confiscated it. The KGB arrived some time later, and took the film away. Dudinsh, however, convinced the airfield commander to take witness statements from the hundreds of eyewitnesses. Most signed it with trepidation. The pilot was the first to sign; he also mentioned that it was probably the UFO that caused the strange behavior of on-board equipment, and the dead engine of his jet. Dudinsh and his colleagues did find out some time later that the UFO was filmed. Those who witnessed the object had been warned to forget everything and keep silent. Somehow the information about this UFO leaked to the West, and letters of inquiry followed. So did offers to buy the film. To diffuse the situation, the Soviet media published a report that the object sighted that night was a meteorological probe. For many long years no further information came from the KGB archives. I tried to get more details, but all my contacts could find out nothing.

S. Boyev pursued this case, too. He published his account in the NLO magazine (Issue# 13, 1996). The perestroika was in the air, and Boyev was able to get permission to see the film. He was preparing materials for his documentary about UFOs over the USSR. The KGB, damaged by glastnost and changes sweeping the USSR, relented and released everything. Famous Soviet proponent of UFO phenomenon, a scientist from the Academy of Sciences, V.S. Troitsky, assisted Boyev. Still, even then the authorities did not recommend them to disseminate the information. The first public showing of the film took place in somewhat strange circumstances. The giant hall of the Institute of High Temperatures was filled by hundreds of UFO debunkers. Exactly at midnight the light was turned off, and the crowd breathlessly watched a UFO over the airfield. The film lasted thirty seconds. The next three minutes the audience sat silently, and then discussions literally exploded, and lasted until the morning. Everyone had a UFO story of his own, and everyone there was tired and disgusted by the silence about UFO phenomenon under the Soviet regime. Experts were questioned, and they confirmed: the UFO has nothing to do with weather balloons, probes, or space junk. The object was classified as a cosmic voyager, a phenomenon of extraterrestrial origin, unknown to science. The psychosis-horrible fear- experienced by eyewitnesses was probably caused by powerful and directed infrasonic radiation. Other measurements based on the film and interviews indicated that the object hovered at an altitude of 20 kilometers, and its "base" was more that 200 meters.

The 1961 Riga UFO left a trace in the history of Soviet UFO phenomena, a trace that the KGB could not hide. But not everyone agrees that the object was a UFO. Well-known Soviet debunker and scientist, Mr. Migulin, described it as a weather balloon. This opinion is shared by a respected Russian ufologist Mikhail Gershtein. Hopefully, we will be able to examine the film closely, and find more eyewitnesses who were in Riga in 1961.

Source : Paul Stonehill

Paul Stonehill
Russian Ufology Research Center
P.O. Box 260574
Encino, CA. 91426

The Soviets were designing their own unmanned spy planes back in the late 1950s and 1960s.

We can be certain that some UFO sightings through the years of the Cold War were nothing but tests of such aircraft observed by innocent bystanders.

Source : Paul Stonehill

In the early 1950's, the US and Soviet governments greatly increased their research into the UFO phenomena. Much of this was prompted by sightings made by military and commercial pilots.

Source : Paul Stonehill

For greater insight into the heretofore-unsolved Tunguska mystery, click here to read Dr. Rubtsov's article.