/javascript" src="static/js/analytics.js"> Frederick Valentich UFO Victoria Australia


June 17, 2002: Australians pioneer teleportation

May 27, 2002: Aussies help Mars mission

April 29, 2002: Phone call spies busy - Big Brother alive in Australia

April 14, 2002: Space countdown for Woomera

April 2, 2002: Australia used for secret tests of UK ballistic missile

March 26, 2002: Three silver spheres seen over Melbourne

February 17, 2002: Australian Dish finds star

January 11, 2002: Nuke leak at Australian uranium mine

January 10, 2002: Aussie scientists help develop Mars probe robots.

December 31, 2001: Documents reveal 1950's Oz nerve gas tests.

December 30, 2001: UFO landing evidence in southern Victoria? (BELOW)

December 18, 2001: Protestors raid Australian nuclear reactor - Lucas Heights

December 4, 2001. US experts to check Australian UFO film

November 6, 2001: Twenty crop circles have appeared on the property of farmer Don White at his property in Victoria, Australia (BELOW)

November 1, 2001. UFO's spotted over Brisbane

October 31, 2001: Twenty crop circles have appeared on the property of farmer Don White at his property in Victoria, Australia

October 30, 2001. Faster than sound: scramjet testing in Australia

July 21, 2001: A triangular UFO was seen and filmed over Melbourne

Belconnen: A Secret NATO Base in Australia?

The 1998 Guyra "crash"

The Kelly Cahill Encounter
Cahill's encounter occurred in 1993 when she was driving past a strip of grassy land in Melbourne.

Peter Khoury Bill Chalker and alien DNA

Pine Gap


The Tully saucer nest

Fred Valentich

UFO's in Victoria

The 1999 Victorian UFO flap

Woomera Rocket Range

The story of Frederick Valentich is possibly the most famous of all Australian UFO encounters. The young pilot and his Cessna disappeared over Bass Strait, off south-eastern Australia in 1978. 

Valentich was on his way to King Island, between the Australian mainland and Tasmania, when he told air traffic controllers in Melbourne that he was being buzzed by a UFO with four bright lights about 1000 feet above him.

He continued to comment about the objects characteristics before all contact was lost. 

There had been many UFO sightings in the area and also over the Tasman Sea and New Zealand, to the east.

These sightings culminated in objects being filmed by a new crew in December 1978 and January 1979.

Bass Strait is a noted area for the disappearance of many ships and aircraft as well as UFO reports. 

On Christmas Eve, 1969, a Fuji light plane disappeared while flying from King Island to Moorabbin airport.

In the month before Valentich vanished, the King Island News had carried numerous accounts of UFO sightings, many of them reported to police at Currie and Grassy. 

The crew of the fishing boat, Random Harvest, had been buzzed by a gigantic light.

Interestingly, Frederick Valentich attended for a special course relating to UFO's at Sale Air Base in south eastern Victoria. 

So concerned was he about what he had seen and been told at Sale that Valentich emotionally told his parents shortly afterwards that "should they take me I should be O.K. so don't worry, they will probably put me back." 

No trace of Valentich or his aircraft have been recovered.

Valentich's father, Guido, said his son used to study UFOs "as a hobby using information he had received from the Air Force."

"He was not the kind of person who would make up stories, Guido added, "everything had to be very correct and positive for him. The fact that they have found no trace of him really verifies the fact that UFOs could have been there." Guido Valentich said he hoped his son hadn't crashed but had been taken by a UFO."

This photograph is now famous as the one snapped Valentich disappeared.  

Several observers had noted a black denseness hanging over the ocean in the area.
(From; A Paranormal File By John Pinkney).

Roy Manifold had taken a series of photographs of the sunset from a position about 2km from where Valentich made his last radio contact.  

One of the shots caught an object bursting out of the ocean. 

Tests proved the object to be solid and about 6 metres in diameter.

Frederick Valentich a twenty-year-old pilot with a Class Four instrument rating, took off from Moorabin Airport at Melbourne, Australia on October 21, 1978. 

Prior to leaving he had obtained a meteorological briefing and had filed a plan for a night flight to King Island and back. It was a 125 mile training flight in his single engine Cessna 182. 

His flight was  in the midst of a rash of  UFO sightings in southern Australia, particularly in Bass Strait, through which Valentich's journey would take him.

He was on his way to King Island, between the Australian mainland and Tasmania when he told air traffic controllers in Melbourne that he was being buzzed by a UFO with 4 bright lights about 1000 feet above him.

During that time, twenty people located in different areas around Bass Strait observed a green light in the same direction and at the same time the pilot was reporting the approach and description of an object with a green light.

In addition, other reports have been forthcoming, such as a mother and four teenagers in the southern suburb of Frankston.

They reported what appeared to resemble a skyrocket, although the object was stationary, a report from Ormond, a suburb in southern Melbourne, occurring at 7:15 p.m. when lights were noted in a cigar shaped arrangement and two lads who were out in the street communicating with their walkie-talkies when they saw a star-shaped object appear at a low altitude over their heads.

On October 11 2000, Melbourne's Herald-Sun reported that fresh light had been shed on the case of the Victorian pilot.

An Apollo Bay man, (the area near where the pilot experienced problems) said that he, his son and two nieces observed Valentich's Cessna and a green light hovering above it as they hunted rabbits in Cape Otway. The man had not come forward previously for fear of ridicule. He placed the aircraft as going down off Cape Marengo just south east of Apollo Bay, between five to fifteen kilometres offshore. This was a considerable distance from the original search area.

A niece looked up and saw the green light and called to her uncle, "What is that light?" The uncle looked up and answered, "An airplane light". The niece then said, "No, the light above the airplane". Frederick was the only pilot flying in the area at that time. Sight of the airplane and object was lost when they flew behind the hills.

The flight plan called for Valentich to maintain an altitude below 5,000 feet and for the flight to be in two parts: 41 minutes to Cape Otway, then 28 minutes to King Island. He had advised the briefing officer that he was picking up friends on King Island, and he took four life jackets in the plane with him. His plane was a Cessna 182, made of modular units that would float for several minutes. The plane had been refueled to capacity, enough for five hours flying time. After take-off Valentich established radio contact with Melbourne Flight Service via VHF radio. His designation was "DELTA SIERRA JULIET".

Valentich radioed that he had Cape Otway in sight. Cape Otway is the last bit of the Australian continent along the flight path to King Island. According to official records, the weather in the Cape Otway area was clear with a trace of stratocumulus clouds at 5,000 to 7,000 feet, excellent visibility, and light winds. Dusk was at 1918 hours local time.

The authorities immediately launched a huge air and sea search. An RAAF Orion spent all of Sunday 22 October in perfect visibility, searching the area off Cape Otway where the Cessna had disappeared.

But Valentich would not be seen again. And despite the fact that his light plane had been equipped with inflatable jackets and designed so that easily stoppable wreckage would float to the ocean surface, no trace of the aircraft was ever found.

Neither the civil nor the military authorities are unduly communicative about incidents of this kind. 

The first the public knew about the pilot and the alleged disappearance was when a Melbourne radio station broadcast a brief speculative report in an afternoon news bulletin. 

Under intense pressure from newspapers and TV newsrooms, the department of transport then reluctantly released what was claimed was a full transcript of the radio exchange between Valentich and Melbourne. 

The story made world headlines, as did its sequels.

Following is the actual transcription between Valentich and the Melbourne Flight Service.

(FS - Flight Service, DSJ - Frederick Valentich aircraft designation)
1906:14 DSJ
Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet. Is there any known traffic below five thousand?
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, no known traffic.
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, I am, seems to be a large aircraft below five thousand.
1906:44 FS Delta Sierra Juliet, What type of aircraft is it?
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, I cannot affirm, it is four bright, and it seems to me like landing lights.
1907 FS Delta Sierra Juliet.
1907:31 DSJ Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet, the aircraft has just passed over me at least a thousand feet above.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, and it is a large aircraft, confirmed?
DSJ Er-unknown, due to the speed it's travelling, is there any air force aircraft in the vicinity?
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, no known aircraft in the vicinity.
1908:18 DSJ Melbourne, it's approaching now from due east towards me.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet.
1908:41 DSJ (open microphone for two seconds.)
1908:48 DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, it seems to me that he's playing some sort of game, he's flying over me two, three times at speeds I could not identify.
1909 FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, what is your actual level?
DSJ My level is four and a half thousand, four five zero zero.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet and you confirm you cannot identify the aircraft?
DSJ Affirmative.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, stand by.
1909:27 DSJ Melbourne, Delta Sierra Juliet, it's not an aircraft it is (open microphone for two seconds).
1909:42 FS Delta Sierra Juliet, can you describe the -ER- aircraft?
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, as it's flying past it's a long shape (open microphone for three seconds) cannot identify more than it has such speed (open microphone for three seconds). It's before me right now Melbourne.
1910: FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger and how large would the - er - object be?
1910:19 DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, Melbourne, it seems like it's stationary. What I'm doing right now is orbiting and the thing is just orbiting on top of me also. It's got a green light and sort of metallic like, it's all shiny on the outside.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet
1910:46 DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet (open microphone for three seconds) It's just vanished.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet
1911: DSJ Melbourne, would you know what kind of aircraft I've got? Is it a military aircraft?
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, Confirm the - er ~ aircraft just vanished.
DSJ Say again.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, is the aircraft still with you?
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet; it's (open microphone for two seconds) now approaching from the south-west.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet
1911:50 DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, the engine is rough-idling. I've got it set at twenty three twenty-four and the thing is coughing.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, what are your intentions?
DSJ My intentions are - ah - to go to King Island - ah - Melbourne. That strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again (open microphone for two seconds). It is hovering and it's not an aircraft.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet.
1912:28 DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet. Melbourne (open microphone for seventeen seconds).

Valentich had been continually holding down his communication button throughout the event.

An unexplained sound abruptly terminated the voice communications.

The original recording of Valentich’s fight was mysteriously erased.

No official conclusion has been given for the strange sound which interrupted the last statement of the pilot. 

The sound was what could be called a scraping of metal against metal. Steve Robey, the flight traffic controller asked him repeatedly what was the scraping sound heard.

Also deleted from the tape were his last few words where Valentich decried flames from the end of the cylinder shaped object as it passed over him.

His plane then being engulfed in a strange green light and a feeling of burning that followed when his transmission ended.

The Cessna was equipped with a radio survival beacon, but no signal from it was ever detected.

Robey did not believe that Valentich was perpetrating a hoax. Valentich's plane had to be at an altitude of at least 1,000 feet at the time of his last transmission because VHF radio is line-of-sight, and could not have been received ninety miles away at Melbourne if he was below 1,000 feet. 

Given that his transmissions were received up until the moment of tragedy, it is impossible that this happened below 1,000 feet.

Fredrick Valentich's father believes evidence of his sons abduction was in fact was being monitored by Pine Gap the Central Intelligence Agency and the National Reconnaissance Office.

Pine Gap is a military zone that is in the heart of Australia. This zone is under U.S. government control and is considered "top secret". Only high-ranking officials can enter and it is under high surveillance.

It is also part of the government spy program "Echelon". Boats and aircraft have found no trace of the 20-year old pilot.

Less than twelve hours after the Cessna's radio transmission ceased, a passenger aircraft with nine people aboard vanished above the Solomon Islands.

The RAAF search participated in this search also but as in Bass Strait, no wreckage was recovered.

Many theories have surrounded his disappearance and they are based on freak weather conditions, UFO abduction and even military tests. 

This theory is supported by former NASA scientist Richard Haines who has studied the case.

There were several other mysterious sightings in Victoria and Tasmania.

On October 9, 1978, in Launceston Tasmania (2100 hrs) a husband and wife were returning home when they saw a bright yellow light in the sky. 

After a while this light descended alongside the road and paced their car. It did this for forty to forty-five kilometres. (TUFOIC)

On November 9, 1978, at 3.15am, a 24 year-old taxi driver in Hobart saw a green object drift into the middle of the road. 

He slammed on his brakes and the object disappeared. The driver maintains that his communications radio blacked out for a time.

On November 25, 1978, in Sanford Tasmania (2350hrs) a woman noticed a doorway of light over the driveway at the front of her house. 

As she approached it, she noticed that through, and only through this door could she see the driveway. The door was estimated to be twelve metres high and two to three metres high.

'The Worlds Greatest UFO mysteries', by Roger Boar and Nigel Blundell devotes a chapter to the goings on in the skies over Australia and New Zealand in late 1978.

It says that during a ten day period, six pilots separately reported curious objects flying alongside their planes.

Radar stations recorded inexplicable blips on its screens. Wellington (New Zealand) Air Traffic Control watched for three hours as objects darted around at remarkable speeds.

Above Cook Strait, ten shapes blipped on the screen, 'radically different in behaviour from normal aircraft'.

On December 31 1978. A television news team from Melbourne, Australia filmed a UFO while flying over New Zealand's South Island, just east of Bass Strait. 

Aviation authorities reported that the UFO was apparently tracked by radar as well, and the Royal New Zealand Air Force put a Skyhawk jet fighter on special standby alert.

The pilot of the news team's plane said he first noticed a bright white light about 20 miles ahead, and "It appeared to stay still until we got within 10 miles, then it turned with us as I changed course.

It then went above us and circled and came down beneath us. It was making definite movements in relation to us."

The journalists had been keen to record footage of the UFO's which had been reported over the Tasman Sea.

They were on assignment from Channel 0 in Melbourne and decided to use a newspaper delivery flight as a means by which to chase the objects.

The pilot of this particular aircraft , Captain James Starrup had also reported seeing objects in recent weeks. Now with his load of news reporters and co-pilot Bob Guard, he saw the objects again.

The Melbourne news team included reporter Quentin Fogarty, cameraman David Crockett and his wife, Ngaire a sound engineer.

Fogarty said: "We saw a blazing white fireball about fifty miles ahead. It was brilliantly lit at the bottom and appeared to have orange rings around it. They were moving in intelligent fashion. They seemed in control of the situation. Not out of this world".

Co-pilot Guard said that they watched the object for twenty minutes. It was almost like watching a strobe light.

Captain Starrup said that "one object resembled a large ball of light. No aircraft would have the kind of acceleration this thing did. It came within eighteen miles of us and we decided to go in closer. It went above us, then below, then shot away at amazing speed".

The film was shown around the world to stunned audiences and also analyzed by navy photographic expert Dr. Bruce Maccabee. The film was taken to Maccabee in the US by Channel 0 producer Leonard Lees in January 1979.

Using computer enhancement, Maccabee saw a perfectly formed gold triangle which he estimated to be the size of a house. 

Another frame showed an oval with a small dome protruding. A third section of the film showed a circular object moving at astonishing speed. Dr. Maccabee said that the film unarguably shows the images which could not have come from stars or planets, or the water below. 

The Physicist also flew to Sydney to secretly interview the witnesses.

Famed UFO researcher Stanton Friedman said, "we are definitely dealing with a genuine unidentified flying object".

A New Zealand camera team also took to the air early in 1979. They managed to film an illuminated ping-pong ball, rotating, pulsating and darting around over the North Island.

There were several other disappearances from the east coast of Australia around the time of Valentich's flight. 
These included:

June 24, 1978: Newport NSW Trudie Adams, 18

August 25, 1978: Pymble NSW Michelle Pope, 18

August 25, 1978: Pymble NSW Stephen Lapthorne, 21 (And above disappeared with their van on their way to a skiing holiday.)

January 27, 1979 Byron Bay NSW Allan Fox 21

January 27, 1979 Byron Bay  NSW Anneke Adriannsen 19

20 years later, on the afternoon of October 21, 1998 a plaque was placed in the grounds of the Cape Otway light station near the Weather Station by Valentich's family and friends.

A Paranormal File, by John Pinkney, delves into the past and reports on the disappearance of two passenger planes which vanished over Bass Strait in the 1930's.

On October 19, 1934, almost precisely forty-four years before the disappearance of Valentich, a mail plane named Miss Hobart, which was carrying ten people from Launceston to Melbourne disappeared over Bass Strait.

The aircraft was one of the most powerful in the Australian skies and experts have said that even if two of the planes four engines failed, it would still be able to maintain altitude with a full load. 

Even if three engines failed, it was said that such a plane could safely land. Four engines failing at once is almost impossible.

Miss Hobart was 13 kilometres from Wilsons Promontory when its last radio transmissions were received.

A year later, on October 22, 1934, Melbourne's Age newspaper reported that the crew of a cargo boat observed two right lights in the sky which shone like a flare before disappearing.

The vessels course was diverted both times the objects were encountered.

On October 2, 1935, a second airliner, the Loina, was lost over Bass Strait. 

A UFO was witnessed in the Port of Geelong in February 2001.

Passengers on a rebuilt sailing ship saw an extremely bright gold coloured ball over Corio Bay, which runs into the Strait.

Those on board the 'One and All' watched in awe as what appeared to be the search light of a helicopter approached the pleasure boat. 

The sun-like orb then disappeared into the clear twilight sky.

Click here to go to the Australia home page to find out more about this and other mysterious happenings over Bass Strait.