/javascript" src="static/js/analytics.js"> UFO Splashdown Guyra Australia

Belconnen: A Secret NATO Base in Australia?

The Kelly Cahill Encounter.
Cahill's encounter occurred in 1993 when she was driving past a strip of grassy land in Melbourne.

Peter Khoury Bill Chalker and alien DNA.


North West Cape


Pine Gap

Tully, Queensland

Victoria's NCSA and the mysterious John Friedrich

The Sale Air Force Base and UFO's

Victoria, Australia. Encounter concentration flap 1999

The Woomera test range



December 18, 2001: Protestors raid Australian nuclear reactor - Lucas Heights.

December 4, 2001. US experts to check Australian UFO film.

November 1, 2001. UFO's spotted over Brisbane

October 31, 2001: Twenty crop circles have appeared on the property of farmer Don White at his property in Victoria, Australia.

October 30, 2001. Faster than sound: scramjet testing in Australia.

October 4, 2001: An Australian woman claimed to have been abducted by a UFO from the Northern Queensland town of Gundiah. The woman appeared 2 or 3 hours later in the town of Mackay 700km away.

July 21, 2001: A triangular UFO was seen and filmed over Melbourne

The Guyra Dam Splashdown - Australia 1999

Guyra is  has a population of about 2020, sits at an elevation of 1300m and lies about 377 kilometres north of Sydney.

Unexplained happenings are nothing new to tiny town and the surrounding areas.

Two F-111s crashed there in the 15 years before 1999 and there is also the legend of the Guyra Ghost, blamed for inexplicable occurrences during the 1920s.

On the morning of Wednesday December 8, 1999, flattened reeds covering approximately 15 metres by six metres were discovered by an employee carrying out maintenance tasks at the Guyra Water Supply Dam.

The nest in the reeds appeared to be caused by an object plunging into the dam the previous night.

Local radio had been full of reports of an incredibly bright meteorite blazing north-west across the sky at 8.30pm on the previous Monday (December 6, 1999).

Four separate meteorite sightings were reported to Guyra Shire Council from Monday to Wednesday, a council spokesman said.

Truck driver Wayne Peterson, said he saw what appeared to be a falling star about 9pm Monday.

"It was blue in colour between the size of a golf ball and a tennis ball and it came from an easterly direction," Mr Peterson said. 

John Goulding, 73, of Ballina, reported a low flying "meteor or whatever it was" travelling north above Guyra at 8.36pm on Tuesday to the Coffs Harbour office of the NSW bureau of meteorology.

"I thought it's not going to go very far before that thing hits the ground," he said.

Filtration plant manager Peter Starr said he almost fell into the hole when he discovered it at lunchtime on Wednesday while carrying out routine maintenance work.

"I'll be the last one to find out what it is," Mr Starr said of an X-files-style operation mounted by police and local authorities.

Starr said at the time he was on a routine check of the dam. "I was just walking down there and saw this thing and thought obviously something had lobbed in there and obviously it had come from the sky. I told my general manager and since then they have kept us away."

Many of the town's 2000 people were at a meeting when sirens were sounded and police made a public announcement of the discovery.

Starr's find prompted the council to shut off the town's water and call in everyone from the Environment Protection Authority to the RAAF.

The RAAF, which has been conducting flight training in the area over the past week, ruled out the object being a piece of one of its F-111s. Other theories including the impact being caused by a piece of space junk or frozen effluent from an airliner, were also ruled out.

The crash site was a circular scar three metres in diameter where reeds had been sheared clean off on the western side of the dam, nestled in picturesque hills 15 minutes from town.

"She's come in from the east," duty officer Stuart Bartholomew said of the object.

The incident took place sometime after dark the previous day, December 7 1999.

Witnesses reported the object skipped across the (reservoir's) surface and left a gouge of flattened reeds and mud measuring 15 metres (50 feet) by 8 metres (24 feet).

Media people were being turned away from the site by the hazardous material officers.

The Australian Defence Force was called in, roadblocks were erected, divers with metal detectors arrived from Sydney, the water supply was shut down and an emergency meeting of State Emergency Services, ADF and NSW Fire Brigade personnel was held at the site.

"We have never had so much traffic on this road," Ms Ridley said. "There's that much in space now that it could be anything."

The dam itself was not damaged and there have been no reports of casualties. A spokesman said: "They have had a close look at the surface of the crater and it seems that the reeds have actually been flattened not 

Late in the day, radio stations in Australia broadcasted the startling news that "a UFO had crashed into a water supply dam" in Guyra. 

"Fire brigade spokesman John Hobar said an area of reed beds measuring four by ten metres had been flattened, fuelling suspicion that the object may have fallen from the sky.." 

"But he had said that he had checked with a number of space agencies, meteorological experts and officials in Canberra (Australia's capital--J.T.) and there had been no sighting of an unidentified object falling from the sky." 

"'There's a township of about 5,000 people and they're on severe water restrictions,' Mr. Hobar said.

Police erected a one-mile no go zone around the dam, as curious locals and scores of media descend on the sleepy town. According to local reporter Lou Danieli, the media and everyone else were rapidly cleared out to a distance of two and a half kilometers away.

"At this stage we don't really know what the object is," said a police spokesman at Guyra. "It has made a significant depression in the floor of the dam." Emergency services quarantined the dam and severely restricted the use of water until they know what the object is, and whether it has left any dangerous residue.

On the Wednesday afternoon two UFO researchers arrived frim Melbourne. JOHN AUCHETTL [LtCol] and RON BARNETT [Dr] from Phenomena Research Australia (PRA) flew up from Melbourne and remained up at the location for over 24 hours. "We plan to do a 'fly over' to get some vision on the ground effect. But at present the site is cold and from reports the event has taken place some time between Monday and midday yesterday", they reported on a national radio program.

"We went over the impact site in some detail. It is located in the Guyra water supply dam on the outskirts of the town, north of Armidale (NSW Australia). We arrived at the location very early on the 8th [Dec] and checked out the location with a number of research tools. The radiation level at the site was at normal back ground level. That night, an IR camera was used to look for hot spots, none were located. Samples has been taken and will be looked at".

"We did find the site interesting. Normally, we would not travel to such sites, but the information sent to us from DoD warranted a look. So yes, the impact has some strange aspects to it that need to be looked at. For example:

·   Angle of entry to the dam was very shallow less than 45 degrees.
·   For such an impact to occur in a population of about 2000 no one recalls a sound of a sonic booms or explosion.
·   The surface has burn marks; this is very unusual for a meteorite impact.
·   I had a good look at the reeds on the bank. They are down in a strange shape not quite like an explosion but have the characteristics of a compression wave.
·   The mud splash is also interesting as it lets us know how much energy was in the impact but the sting in the tail, with this impact, is on the other side [bank], the object may have skipped on the water.
·   There was no witness to the impact.

After our examination, I cannot rule out an explosive device, or some elaborate hoax. 

Viewing the site makes me feel confident that it's not man made. We need to get the samples looked at and someone needs to go down into the mud and water and have a look. My first hypothesis is that it a meteorite. But that just conjecture.

We felt that the area should be shut down until the police cleared it, and they have done that at last. The media - radio and TV - have taken to this story with some vigour and it's turned into a bit of a "zoo". Some of the stories are starting to develop and the precision will soon be lost. One, media reporter wanted me to run the alien story line. I can tell you right now there is no report of 'little green men'; in fact, there is not report of the event from any locals, around the area at present.

The alleged object was not seen entering the dam and while the subject is 'press hot' and everyone is running around the area, little can be done. I can say until further evidence is presented the matter remains unresolved and at the moment a police and EPA problem. With time we will follow up any data that may end the mystery."

At 4.00pm on Thursday, December 9, 1999, divers entered the lake behind the Guyra dam "to test for toxins or radioactive material." Thursday, good news was received that the water source was not contaminated.

The reeds made it difficult for the divers to work.

Water restrictions were maintained until 6.00pm Friday to allow water reserves on Prisk Hill to recover.

On Friday 10 December 1999 Guyra Council's excavator was brought to the site to clear the way. 

Based upon evidence at the site and from reports of witnesses, it is most likely that the disturbance was caused by a meteorite. 

The divers recovered sediment and fragments believed to be from the object. 

Those sediments have been tested by geologists on-site and the geologists have advised police they believe sediment is from a small meteorite the size of a golf ball.

Authorities lifted the restrictions after tests showed the water was safe to drink. Police divers found a 12-metre (39.6 feet) cavern in the floor of the dam.

The object has not been found, and the divers are going to continue the search today. 

The object came from the south on a 45 degree" angle of approach. 

USA Today reported that some people were speculating that the object was one of the two mini-probes, Scott or Amundsen, which disappeared with the Mars Polar Lander last week. (See USA Today for December 11, 1999, "UFO," page 4A.).

The meteorite has penetrated the mud at the bottom of the dam and is now embedded about four metres into soft granite and unable to be moved. The site is reopened and all emergency services left the area.

Roger Woodward was part of the crowd trying to get a look at the site where an as yet unidentified flying object ploughed through bullrushes and into a reservoir in the Great Dividing Range in northern New South Wales.
The pianist happened to be in the neighborhood looking at real estate.
But hot on his heels were crowds of media, officials and space cadets drawn by the mysterious crater.

Near Guyra NSW
Date sighted: 06.12. 1999
Location: New England HWY Between Armidale & Glen Innes "Guyra area"
Reportee: Brian Renworth aged 74 years a credible wittiness
Description of object: Huge White & Orange Object - lots of lights.

Brian called to say he was a witness to a UFO. 

He thought he had better call because he had seen the report on TV about the Guyra object crashing into the dam. 

Another very credible witness rang on Thursday 09.12 .99 saying she had called the Armidale police station to find out if anything strange had been reported on Monday 06.12.99 a police woman said she had heard that quite a few reports of a strange red beam of light had been seen coming down from the sky on that Monday evening.

An other credible witness said that Guyra had two short power blackouts on the night.

Taped Interview with Brian Renworth
Date Recorded: 09.12 .99

Diane said: You said you where traveling from NSW to Queensland between 2.00am and 3.00am in the morning.
Brian said: Yes that's right , that was on Monday morning.
DH: Brian could you explain what you saw while traveling up the road near Guyra?.
BR: Well I don't know if I passed Guyra or if it was before Guyra. Now on this section of road there were hundreds of red and white reflectors, it looked like a busy traffic intersection. There were no vehicles other than myself and a trailer coming a long way back behind me.

DH: How far back would you say the trailer was?
BR: A quarter of a mile I suppose.
DH: Was the truck close enough to see what was going on?
BR: He had his big lights on and they were worrying me, I had mine on at low beam. When I saw all this frizzle of lights ahead of me I thought what the hell was it. It just looked like a landing strip and as I approached it I was struck with this red light, it just lit everything up and everything went red.
DH: Everything went red?
BR: Yes and I could feel the heat of what ever it was.
DH: Brian could I just clarify something. When you said you saw something that looked like a landing strip what kind of shape did you see?
BR: Well it was just like both sides of the road it looked like an island in the middle of the road on both sides.
DH: An island did you see a shape at all?
BR: It just was a maze of reflectors ahead of me so I had to slow down
DH: Were the reflectors in any sort of pattern?
BR: They were on both sides of the HWY and down the middle of both lanes, they looked like they were every 10 feet for as far as you could see.
DH: You said when you got close they all turned to a bright what colour?
BR: This red glow what ever it was lit all the white reflector, they went red. And I was totally blinded.
DH: When that happened what did you do?
BR: Well I just drifted along and slowed down on the other side of these lights. I got away out of them and then I slowed down because I couldn't darn see.
DH: Where was the truck, do you remember the truck?
BR: Ho yes he was way back I don't know if it was a truck or a semi trailer but he had his high beams on and then that made it worse it lit everything up and because my lights to its only a reasonably new motor car I got and it had bright lights too, but I was on low beam and you would have sworn you where coming in a Kingsford Smith Aerodrome with all these reflectors.
DH: Was it that bright?
BR: Yes.
DH: What kind of car do you drive.?
BR: I drive a Subaru wagon a 98 model.
DH: Brian what was the reason for going to Queensland.?
BR: I traveling up to visit my daughters for Christmas.. I've been driving for some fifty odd years and I have never seen anything like this.
DH: When you said the lights blinded you, what did you do next.?
BR: Well I drifted through these rows of lights it they thinned out and I slowed down into the side of the road and sat there for a little while because I couldn't see. Well I was really had been flashed in the eyes with all this reflection.
DH: When you said you drove through the reflection, what impression did you have of where the light was coming from, was it on the ground or above you.?
BR: It seemed high and it seemed to be behind me, I could feel the heat of this? and ha and I copped it back in the rear view mirror to that hit me in the eyes.
DH: Did you hear any noise at all.
BR: No, no noise I had my windows up like it was quite in the car. I didn't hear any unusual noise at all, I did have the radio on though.
DH: Did anything happen to the radio.?
BR: Well it gave a screeching that's all, other wise the radio's intact.
DH: How is your car.?
BR: The car Ya well it seems alright, I drove it for the first time today.
DH: Are there any physical evidence or signs of any damage at all, like paint work damaged or.?
BR: No.
DH: What about yourself how are you.?
BR: Well I had the shakes on Monday and my sight was affected I couldn't stand any sun light. I had to wear dark glasses and even on Tuesday morning I still had my dark peppers on and when I went shopping my daughter drove
her car she took me shopping I couldn't drive mine, and this afternoon I left Ipswich to come over here (a Bay Island).
DH: Comment: Some details have to be let out to protect Brian.
BR: And that's the first time I've driven the car since I landed at Ispwich on Monday.
DH: Brian you said you actually called the Ipswich police.
BR: I rang them this morning from Ipswich because I heard on the radio all about this stuff down in that Guyra place, and hell nobody seemed to know what time it happened and this happened to me between the hours of 2.00am and 3.00 am on Monday morning.
DH: And what time did you end up getting to Glen Innes which is the nearest town if you were heading that way to Ispwich.
BR: Look that I don't know I can't remember, I fueled at Armidale and I had enough fuel to last me right through up to here (Ipswich). I landed at Ispwich my daughter said "jee dad what's up with your eyes," like one eye was all blood shot really blood shot

>>>>Refuel Confirmed: By the Mobile Shop attendant in Armidale at time
Approx 2.15am the attendant said it easy to remember people at that hour because its so
quite and you look forward to customers coming in, it helps break the boredom.
DH: How are your eyes now.?
BR: There still a little bit on the blurry side other wise I'm alright.
DH: What about the rest of yourself?
BR: I'm a little pink just like I have a mild sunburn. I'm going to the doctors in the morning for my checkup.
DH: Could you let me know what the doctors says.?
DH: When you rang the Ispwich Police what did you ask them?
BR: I asked them if they got any or would they know of any laser beams or any thing on the road like, and they said " no we don't use them" they said that the latest I think its a speed laser which they use here, its a red laser but you don't see any beam from it. But this was well I don't know it sorta lit everything up. (a little upset)
Brian how did you feel at the time this was happening.
BR: That's a silly question ha!! I didn't know how the hell I felt I know I couldn't see properly.
DH: How long had you observed the reflector for?
BR: I could see them at least half a mile in front of me.
DH: What happened to the truck that was behind you?
BR: I saw it zigzag on the road then it pulled over about half a mile behind me. We were the only ones on the road I sure he must have seen what I saw.
DH: Do you remember if the truck passed you, and what time do you think you got to your daughters in Ipswich?
BR: That puzzles me about the truck I can't remember seeing him pass me at all. It took me an extra hour and half as its only taken me around 14 hours before. You know Diane it was a laser type beam the thickness of a broom handle, it hit the side mirror and flashed back in my face, I could feel the heat from this thing.
DH. I asked Brian not to wash his car so we could do a magnetic signature to see if anything strange had happened to the car itself.. The first test proved very interesting the drivers side door seemed to have a magnetic
misprint which went off the scale. Now this could be normal but until I get a chance to do another test on another Subaru wagon the test will remain inconclusive.

Interestingly, a similar occurrence had taken place on the other side of the world several months before. 

On July 27, 1999 in Sweden, up to seven witnesses observed a torpedo like object crashing into a lake outside Gumnarsog. Some witnesses reported small wings on the object. After a search of the lake which lasted several days, nothing was found. Witnesses however were told by police and the army not to discuss what they had seen.

The Guyra Splashdown - See CNN video report